In bliss since purchasing and living in your log home? Chances are, you‘re enjoying your log home living, but might be neglecting the important maintenance needs of your unique home. A few years of missed upkeep and you’ll start to notice signs that your home needs at least some clear coat maintenance, but maybe more intensive restoration treatment as well. Do you know what to look for?
- You’ll probably notice a loss of your home’s original satiny sheen. It will start to dull over time due to weathering and the sun. The dulling effect will be more obvious to spot in direct sunlight, or with a light placed on it.
- You will also notice that your log stain appears to be a different shade than it was originally. This can take the form of a darker color, or even a lighter color where it is exposed to lots of sunlight. These are both indicators that the clear coat, or possibly even more restoration is needed.
- Is water not shedding down the logs? If water is beading up and not falling in sheets off the wood, more clearcoat is needed for protection.
- You have build-up of pollen, dirt and bird leavings. These contaminants should be washed off regularly and can eat away your clearcoat over time.
- You have new cracks developing in the logs. These cracks are unprotected by stain and left untreated, can cause rot.
If you are noticing any of these signs, it is time for some maintenance on your home. It can be as simple as a layer of clearcoat, or your home may need more thorough healing. If you would like some help evaluating your needs to ensure you are protecting your home properly, give us a call at 888-564-4897 or fill out our free estimate request here!